Dr. Reiser has published two books on the subject of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and has edited, co-authored multiple peer-reviewed articles.
A Manual for Evidence-Based CBT Supervision
by Derek Milne and Robert Reiser
The effectiveness of CBT depends on the quality of the supervision and training that is provided to its practitioners. A Manual for Evidence-Based CBT Supervision is intended to significantly strengthen the available resources for training and supporting CBT supervisors. The authors drew on the insights of many accredited CBT supervisors to develop the guidance, and the work is built firmly on an evidence-based approach.
This manual will also be useful for individual supervisors and to those who support and guide trainers and supervisors (e.g., peer groups, consultants, managers, administrators, training directors), as the authors include training supervision guidelines and training materials (e.g., video clips, guidelines and PowerPoint slides).
In summary, this manual provides critical guidance in a number of areas:
- Training resources and evidence based guidance to individual supervisors in a continuing education/professional development workshop format
- Criteria and guidance (including measurement tools and competence standards) to support the certification of supervisors
- Assisting in a “train the trainers” approach suitable for agency or organization-based training of supervisors
- Coaching and training supervisors and supervisees remotely, through supplementary materials and an interactive website
An extensively updated new edition of the acclaimed guide to treatment of bipolar disorder, incorporating the latest research on psychosocial treatments and clear medication management guidelines.
The expert authors, a team of psychotherapists, medical practitioners, and researchers, beginreview current theories and medication management guidelines are described, along with decision trees for evaluating the best treatment options. They then outline a systematic, integrated, and empirically supported treatment approach involving structured, directive therapy. Special considerations, including managing suicide risk, substance misuse, and medication nonadherence, are also addressed.
Spanish translation of Dr. Reiser's Bipolar Disorder book is available: Tastorno Bipolar on Amazon.
Self-Help and Other Resources for Bipolar Disorder
- Basco, M. (2005) The Bipolar Workbook- Tools for Controlling Your Mood Swings. Guilford Press.
- Miklowitz, D.J. (2010)The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide- What You and Your Family need to Know, 2nd edition. Guilford Press.
- Scott, J. (2001) Overcoming Mood Swings: A self-help Guide to using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques. New York University Press.
Self-Help and Other Resources for Psychosis and Schizophrenia
- Jones, S. & Hayward, P. (2004) Coping with Schizophrenia: A Guide for Patients, Families and Caregivers. Oxford: One World Publications.
- Morrison, A.P., Renton. J., French, P., & Bentall, R. (2008) Think You're Crazy? Think Again: A Resource Book for Cognitive Therapy for Psychosis. Routledge.
- Mueser, K.T., & Gingerich, S. (2006) The Complete Family Guide to Schizophrenia. Guilford Press.
Torrey, E.F. (2013). Surviving Schizophrenia: a Family Manual, 6th edition. HarperCollins.
- Cognitive-Behavior Therapy for Severe Mental Illness: An Illustrated Guide. Jesse H. Wright, M.D., Ph.D., Douglas Turkington, M.D., David G. Kingdon, M.D., and Monica Ramirez Basco, Ph.D (includes a DVD of key CBT skills)
- Cognitive Therapy of Schizophrenia (Guides to Individualized Evidence-Based Treatment). David G. Kingdon and Douglas Turkington. 2005
- Overcoming Paranoid and Suspicious Thoughts: A self-help guide using cognitive behavioral techniques. Daniel Freeman, Jason Freeman, and Philippa Garety.
- Back to Life, Back to Normality: Volume 2: CBT Informed Recovery for Families with Relatives with Schizophrenia and Other Psychoses. Turkington, D et al (2009) Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
- CBT for Psychosis. A symptom based approach. Hagen, R., Turkington D eds (2011) Routledge: New York.
- Beck, J.S. (1995). Cognitive therapy: Basics and Beyond. New York: Guillford Press.
- Kingdon, D., & Turkington, D. (2006). Cognitive-Behavioral Thearpy of Schizophrenia. New York: Guillford Press.
Self-Help and Other Resources for Depression
- Burns, D.D. (1999). The Feeling Good Handbook. New York: Penguin
- Greenberger, D.G., & Padesky, C.A. (1995). Mind Over Mood. New York: Guilford.