CBT Informed Care for Psychosis Workshop Materials
I wanted to let you know about an exciting resource that NAMI Marin has made available on their website.
On November 6, NAMI Marin hosted a workshop for family members and caregivers on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Informed Care for Psychosis. The presenter was world-renowned researcher and clinician Dr. Douglas Turkington from Great Britain. More than fifty family members and mental health providers who work with families attended this 6-hour presentation, which included a combination of video segments and live question-and-answer periods.
Participants were asked to complete a survey at the conclusion of the workshop. One of the consistent comments was the request to have ongoing access to the program materials, both slides and videos. In response, we have uploaded the materials from the workshop to our website – both the slides that accompanied the presentation and the video presentation by Dr. Turkington.
Click here to access the material: CBT informed caring workshop videos
The feedback we have received on the program was exceptional. For example, respondents strongly agreed or agreed with the following:
- 100% of respondents said that the workshop helped them gain a better understanding of CBT informed caring techniques
- 97% said it helped them understand how people cope with voices and delusions
- 95% said it helped them understand more about caring for loved ones with reduced or no insight into their illness
- 94% said it helped them deal with “negative symptoms” (loss of interest, motivation and interest)
- 92% said that it helped them understand how to improve communications within the family
- 92% said that it helped normalize and reduce stigma surrounding psychosis
- 92% said they would recommend the workshop to others
Highlights of the many comments included appreciation of Dr. Turkington’s compassion, communication skills, empathy, humor, knowledge and accessibility. As one participant said: “Dr. Turkington models an attitude that is essential and speaks with such compassion and expertise. He is truly a wonderful teacher and researcher.” Appreciation was also expressed for the wide-ranging substantive content of the material presented and the practical suggestions for implementing the suggestions offered.